Chuletas, Arroz, y Habichuela

The first time I ate chuletas, rice and beans were when I came home from school one day and mom always had our plates and drinks on the table. She would just surprise us with any food. I was in 4th grade when I came home to a hot plate that day and it was chuletas, rice and beans. Just by looking at it, it looked so good. I just wanted to eat it .I just couldn’t wait ,what I usually do is set my things down and change in comfortable clothing so I can eat comfortably but nope I didn’t do it I just set my bookbag down and immediately start eating. The chuletas was a little bit crispy that I had to mix the beans with rice and add the chuletas that it made my mouth salivate. I told my mom she made it just right and good. I love all the meals my mom makes but by far that was the best plate she has made. I would repeatedly tell mom to make that plate again and her answer was like no maybe another day. She wouldn’t do it until she feels like it. 9 years later, I still love the way she does it. I have tried to make it myself, but it doesn’t come out like my mom does it. She has told me the ingredients, but it doesn’t taste nor be nearly how she does it. I was disappointed the way it would come out for me, but I continued to make it the way it would be good for me.
 
Before I even continue, I just wanted you to know that there will be some words that be so strange to you so the first one is sazon. “Sazon” is a seasoning that majority of Hispanics use. It is a good seasoning, well for me I mostly put it on everything I cook. It has a unique taste that does not taste like anything else. It gives color and flavor to your food. There is different sazon, but I use “sazon con cultrantro y achiote.” The color of the seasoning is an orange color with red mixed in. Also, “Adobo” is also a Hispanic seasoning that it has a salty kind of taste. This seasoning helps me a lot when there is some food that does not have salt in their food or garlic too. “Chuletas de Puerco” is a meat that is called in english, pork chop. It is not a big portion of meat; it is actually a decent size for someone to eat one, but others eat more than one.

The beans are red kidney beans for this specific meal we don’t use black beans. I get a can of red kidney beans. It can be any type of brand, but I use Walmart brand because it’s cheap. The first steps I do to make habichuelas is I get like about 4 strips of bacon and I cut them into little pieces not so big or not to small. I turn on the stove to medium and get a pot of 2.0 quart. Once the pot is heated, I throw in the bacon then I get a whole green bell pepper and cut half of the bell pepper and cut it up too little pieces. Check if the bacon is cooked and then throw in the bell pepper. Then I get a whole onion and cut less than a half of onion. Cut little pieces and throw it in also. I mixed the bacon, bell peppers, and onions until you see it kind of crispy then you throw in the red kidney beans and mix it in. So, after I throw in the red kidney beans, I fill up half of the can with water. Pour it in and mix it with beans. After that, I mix in sazon, adobo and tomato paste. I put the top of the pan and let it heat until you see bumbles Last, I cut the cilantro and mix it in.  The beans should a little bit soupy and a color of dark red. The sazon and tomato paste makes that kind of dark red.

Next, is the white rice where I get two cups and wash the rice until the water is clear. Then I fill up the rice with two cups of water. I mix in salt and oil and then put the top of the pot and just wait until you see the water down. After that, I get a plastic bag and make sure there is nothing in there.  I put the plastic bag on top of the rice and then you put the top of the pot and let it sit there for 15 min.

Food Chuletas By OgreBot
Then, is the chuletas and what chuletas are is basically pork.  I washed the chuletas and then dipped it in with vinegar. After that I get sazon and mixed it in with adobo which is two different types of seasoning which gives the meat a distinct taste,  a little bit of black pepper on the chuleta rub it and have the oven at 350 degrees and put it on a pan .Put aluminum on top of the chuleta so it can cooked for 30 minutes and then take of the aluminum and get the degrees to 375 so the chuletas can get crispy. The chuletas should come out red with hints of orange.

My family are from Honduras but when my parents moved to New York which is a very diverse place to live. I know my mom hung out with Dominican people and she started learning how to cook Dominican food. She told me that it’s where she got the meal from the people across from us. When we were living at Fordham road. Fordham road is a street in the Bronx, NY. My mom told me majority the food she makes are basically Dominican food. The meal that I am talking about is originated from Dominican Republic. My family and I was surrounded with so many different kinds of Spanish culture, but more with Dominicans. We learned their music, dancing, food, and etc. It is kind of weird eating the food of somebody else culture instead of yours when majority of the family is Honduran. A lot of Hispanic makes this dish but mainly comes from Puerto Rican and Dominican cultures. Well my family does not make it on the holidays just a regular day. It is a meal that is not anything special on a holiday. It can be eaten any given day. It is a dish that is not a meal of choice in my country of origin. Hondurans likes to eat a lot of flour tortillas, black beans, fish, cheese, and etc. I stray my own way, when I see rice, beans and chuletas. I jump with joy and my heart start racing and I get filled with excitement.

As has been noted that I am all for my meal that I truly love and fills me with joy when I eat it. I could not make it as good as my mom does, but I learned the way I would approve it for myself and enjoy it. I am really glad that my mom got to learn another culture food and passed it down to me. I would continue to make similar Dominican food because that’s what I was basically raised with. Even though is not my culture I am still proud from where my parents come from.

"File:Food Chuletas.JPG" by OgreBot is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0 


`







Comments